Marriage Green Card Attorney in DC For Permanent Residence

For more than 25 years, ILG’s Marriage Green Card Lawyers have dedicated themselves to delivering strategic and effective legal representation for US immigration to clients around the world. We value each client and case, understanding the significant benefits of immigration for the United States.

Immigration Law Group in the News

What is Marriage Green Card

Dreaming of a life in the United States with your foreign spouse? A Marriage Green Card, or marriage-based green card, is your path to permanent residence. This legal avenue allows foreign nationals, eligible for marriage visas, married to U.S. citizens to become lawful permanent residents. The process involves submitting comprehensive documentation to the USCIS lockbox facility.

Typically a one-step process, it includes petition approval, adjustment of status, and simultaneous work authorization issuance within 90 days via an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). USCIS conducts marriage interviews, assessing authenticity with a timeline of three to eight months. Documents like wedding photos, joint bills, and tax returns are scrutinized. If the marriage is under two years old at approval, a conditional green card is issued, valid for two years.

Necessary Requirements for a Marriage Green Card

U.S. Citizenship

The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen to initiate the marriage green card process.

Bona Fide Marriage

The marriage must be genuine and recognized as bona fide, free from any fraudulent intent.


Essential documents such as wedding photographs, joint bills, tax returns, joint leases or deeds, joint bank accounts, and insurance documents designating each spouse as beneficiary are required to establish the authenticity of the marital union.

Conditional Green Card

If the marriage is less than two years old at the time of approval, a conditional green card is issued.

Joint Filing

To transition to permanent residence, the couple must jointly file to remove the conditions within the 90 days before the conditional green card's expiration.

Marriage Based Green Card Application Process

USCIS Submission:

Initiate the process by submitting an application to the USCIS lockbox facility dedicated to marriage-based green card filings, in accordance with immigration law.

One-Step Filing:

Opt for the streamlined one-step filing process, which includes petition approval, adjustment of status, and work authorization. Within 90 days, the USCIS issues an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to the lawful permanent resident, enabling them to work while awaiting the green card application outcome.

Employment Authorization

Leverage the EAD to empower the foreign national spouse to work in the U.S. during the waiting period for the green card application outcome.

Marriage Interviews

Attend marriage interviews arranged by the USCIS to evaluate the authenticity of the bona fide marriage. The duration may range from three to eight months, depending on jurisdiction and the National Visa Center's involvement in the process.

Marriage Interviews

Attend marriage interviews arranged by the USCIS to evaluate the authenticity of the bona fide marriage. The duration may range from three to eight months, depending on jurisdiction and the National Visa Center's involvement in the process.

Document Scrutiny and Conditional Green Card Issuance

Undergo document scrutiny during the interview, presenting evidence such as wedding photographs, joint bills, tax returns, joint leases or deeds, joint bank accounts, and insurance documents. If the marriage is less than two years old at approval, receive a conditional green card, marking the initiation of permanent residency status.

Joint Filing to Remove Conditions

Secure permanent residency by jointly filing to remove conditions within the critical 90-day window before the conditional green card expires. This step solidifies the transition from being a green card holder based on marriage to a full-fledged lawful permanent resident.

Why ILG and How We Help

Navigating the intricacies of immigration law, particularly in the context of green card through marriage, can be challenging. Here’s why consulting to experienced marriage visa attorneys is crucial:

Deep Knowledge of Immigration Laws

A seasoned green card marriage attorney specializes in immigration law, ensuring a comprehensive grasp of the intricate legal nuances involved throughout the application process. This expertise is invaluable in creating a robust application that satisfies all requirements. We are a Washington, D.C.-based Immigration Law firm with a minimum of 20 years of experience in immigration law, having a profound understanding of its intricacies.

Tailored Immigration Solutions for Your Unique Circumstances

Any marriage green card matter is unique, necessitating a personalized approach. An experienced immigration attorney evaluates the green card marriage process, whether be applying for marriage visa or spouse visa, facing a green card interview, or family members navigating the permanent resident filing with efficiency.. This customized strategy enhances the likelihood of success.

Proven Track Record of Success

Glen Wasserstein is a lawyer who has been interviewed by NBC, BBC, and Fox News, regularly appearing on National Television to discuss immigration matters. An experienced marriage green card attorney with a history of success demonstrates their capability to navigate the complexities of the marriage green card application process. This track record of achievements instills confidence in clients seeking reliable immigration solutions.

Required Documentation for the Green Card

Forms and Evidence Submitted by the Petitioner

  1. Form I-130 and I-130A Supplement

    • Proves the relationship between you and your spouse.

    • Supporting documents include:

      • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency (e.g., Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Passport, Permanent Resident Card).

      • Proof of marriage (Marriage Certificate).

      • Evidence of a bona fide marriage, such as:

        • Documentation of joint property ownership (e.g., mortgage or land deed).

        • Lease confirming shared residence.

        • Documentation of combined financial resources (e.g., bank statements, bills in both names).

        • Birth certificates of children from the marriage.

        • Affidavits from individuals with knowledge of the relationship.

        • Photos of the couple together.

        • Copies of texts, emails, or cards exchanged.

        • Two passport-style photos of the petitioner and spouse.

  2. Form I-864

    • Demonstrates financial ability to support your spouse.

    • Requires the following documents:

      • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.

      • Most recent Income Tax Return (optional: three years of income tax returns).

      • Most recent Form W-2 or 1099 (optional: Form W-2 and 1099 for the past three years).

      • Optional: Six months of paystubs.

      • Optional: Employment confirmation letter.

      • Additional evidence depending on individual circumstances, which may include proof of military status, assets, and proof of spouse’s income.

Forms and Evidence Submitted by the Beneficiary

  1. Form I-485

    • Proves your spouse’s eligibility for a Green Card.

    • Requires the following documents:

      • Two passport-style photos.

      • Photo ID (e.g., Passport, Driver’s License, Military ID, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate).

      • Proof of Legal Entry into the U.S. (e.g., Passport Stamp, Visa, Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record).

      • Proof of maintaining legal immigration status (e.g., Form I-797 approval notice, Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-20 for F or M visas, Form DS-2019 for J visas, Passport Stamp).

      • Additional evidence depending on individual circumstances, such as arrest records or waivers.

  2. Form I-944

    • Demonstrates your spouse’s ability to support themselves financially.

    • Requires the following documents:

      • Income Tax Returns or Transcripts for all household members.

      • Verification of assets, such as (but not limited to) property deed and appraisal, bank account statements, annuities, stocks and bonds/certificates of deposit, and retirement and education accounts.

      • Confirmation of liabilities or debts, including (but not limited to) mortgages, car loans, unpaid spouse or child support, unpaid taxes, and credit card debt.

      • Credit score and report.

      • Proof of bankruptcy (if applicable).

      • Proof of health insurance.

      • Proof of use of public benefits.

      • High School or College Diplomas.

      • Occupational Certificates or Licenses.

      • Proof of English or other language skills.

Marriage Green Card Duration

Visa Duration or Validity

In the case of marriage to a U.S. citizen, if the alien spouse is in the United States, a one-step filing process involves submitting an application to the designated USCIS lockbox facility. This comprehensive filing covers petition approval, adjustment of status, and work authorization concurrently, resulting in the issuance of an employment authorization document (EAD) within approximately 90 days. Subsequent marriage interviews, scheduled by the USCIS and varying in duration based on jurisdiction, assess the legitimacy of the union. Required documents include wedding photographs, joint financial records, and other evidence of a bona fide marriage. If the marriage is under two years old at approval, the green card is initially conditional and must be renewed jointly by the applicant and spouse within 90 days before expiration.

Visa Renewal 

If your 10-year green card is approaching expiration, our legal team can assist you through the renewal process. The renewal typically involves a four-step process:

1. Complete a Renewal Application:
Either online or by mail.

2. Gather Supporting Documents:
Ensure all necessary documentation is compiled.

3. Pay Government Fees:
Fulfill any required fees for the renewal.

4. Submit Application and Await New Green Card:
Submit your application and patiently wait for the issuance of your renewed green card.

An expired green card doesn't jeopardize your lawful permanent resident status; it merely necessitates obtaining the latest version for continued legal living and working in the United States. Immigration law firms in DC guide you through the renewal process seamlessly.

Client Reviews

What an amazing team to work with. SO grateful for Jen, Catherine and the whole team, who worked so hard and were so patient with us through this whole process of obtaining our green cards. They are truly experts and can be trusted without a doubt to help you with your immigration needs! Utmost professionals and a pleasure to work with.

Sarah C.

Immigration Law Group has a wonderful team of lawyers. They handled my h1b and permanent residence paperwork in a way that really made me feel comfortable and brought me peace through a very stressful time. they are on top of things and always answered my questions in a timely manner. I highly recommend them if you want to make sure everything goes perfectly.

Kiran M.

Everyone at Immigration Law Group, from the attorneys to support staff, have been nothing but helpful, well-informed, and courteous to me from the start until now. Jen, and Catherine in particular, have been super helpful in explaining complicated procedures and processes in easy to understand ways–yet not dumbing down to the level where they are leaving out important details. I feel confident and knowledgeable with ILG working on my case, and there’s a personal level of communication and trust, which also puts me at ease during a difficult and tricky process. I highly recommend Immigration Law Group–I’m so glad I found them!

Andrew O.

We are very satisfied with the Immigration Law Group and the services they had provided us so far. They have very capable staff that is always on top of our cases and help us navigate them successfully. We have had great success with all cases and their rates are very reasonable. They know Immigration law better than any other law firm we worked with. I would recommend them without hesitation!

Alina T.

L1 Visa FAQs

A marriage-based green card is a pathway to lawful permanent residence for foreign nationals married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse. This process involves proving the authenticity of the marriage, and our experienced immigration lawyers can guide you through the intricacies.


The timeframe for securing a marriage-based green card can differ, influenced by variables such as jurisdiction and individual circumstances. Our Marriage Green Card Lawyer will guide you in comprehending and maneuvering through the distinct timeline relevant to your case.

The green card marriage interview is a crucial step where the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) assesses the authenticity of the marriage. Our lawyer will help you prepare by guiding you on the documentation and information needed to showcase a bona fide marriage.

When an alien enters without inspection (EWI), or with fraudulent documentation, they are ineligible to adjust under current immigration law.  

For spouses of US citizens and other immediate relative filings, one may still adjust status in the US even if you have overstayed your visa. However, for the other family preference categories, an alien cannot adjust status if he/she has overstayed their visa. In fact, if one overstays a visa by 180 days or more, one is barred from adjusting or reentering for 3 years. Furthermore, if one overstays for 365 days or more, one is barred from adjusting or reentering for 10 years.  

All sponsors must submit form I-864, Affidavit of Support, which assures the government that you are financially capable of bringing an immigrant relative to the United States. Most sponsors must earn 125% of the poverty income level-please see form I-864P for the current guidelines (see the current poverty level guidelines).
All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864.

  • Proof of current employment or self employment

  • Your individual Federal income tax returns for the most recent 3 tax years, or an explanation if fewer than 3 are submitted. Your W-2s or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details. If you are using the income of persons in your household or dependents to qualify as a sponsor, you must also submit a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, for each person whose income you will use. If you are unable to show enough income on your own, one may use a joint sponsor for the Affidavit of Support

We’re ILG, your Immigration Specialists

We Believe in Immigration. We ensure that all our clients get the best chance to a new life in the United States.